Saturday, February 07, 2004

Omelet Hazard

I hate when you can only breathe through one nostril. It either needs to be both, or none. This whole left nostril open and right nostril stuffed up just doesn’t sit well with me. What’s even better is when you lie on one side to get rid of your stuffy nose and for about two minutes you are able to breathe freely with both nostrils. However, this is short lived for inevitably the stuffy nose finally recovers from his long trek and reaches his destination…the right nostril.

After writing that I’ve just realized how strange the word nostril looks. Even worse is the sound of someone saying nostril. Its right up there with urinate.

I actually kind of like my voice when I’m sick. Instead of me sounding like a 12 year-old with pig-tails in my hair, I sound like a 70 year-old…where’s my medicine?

I actually have to decide on a topic for my senior research project in the upcoming week. Today I went to talk with one of my professor’s and his reply, “Wow, you are all over the place.” Ummm, yeah…was that supposed to be helpful? Maybe next time you could tell me that the snake that just bit me was poisonous. I could find that a little more beneficial.

I’m not really sure if this happens to other people, or if it is just me, but whenever I have a test the next day I always dream about doing problems. For instance, if I have an upcoming organic test I find myself going through different reactions, or naming different compounds. No matter what the subject, this always happens. Its great waking up to the realization that the carbonyl group in an IR Spectroscopy is around 1700. Doesn’t get much better than that, except for that brief window of time where mister stuffy has stopped to take a much needed break and breathing between both nostrils is restored. Let the good times begin.

Have you even noticed that whenever you get sick everyone is like you must have got what’s going around. Seems like there is always something going around and it is always the same thing, it just gets labeled differently depending on the time of the year. Allergies, flu, a cold, sinus infection, a bug are all codenames for that sickness which plagues everyone at least once a year. The decision you have to make is whether you suffer through the cold with over the counter drugs or go to health services where they graciously tell you that you have (insert some random flu-like illness) and prescribe you with amoxicillin. Health services is great in that you can walk in with a sprained ankle and walk out with a prescription for amoxicillin, the all-purpose drug.

Why does your nose run, and your feet smell?





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home